3 minutes
10 centimeters
The Bau Family Online News

Extra extra!

We haven't yet called up all our close friends and family with the big news today, but we're posting a few of our baby pictures here to get the news out quicker.

- The Editor

The basics
Who we are
Where we are

Story search

Baby pics

Link sink
Graffiti page
Other stuff

Page David

Yes, this will really send a message to David's pager. Remember to tell him who is paging.

Links out
Notes by Dave
Eric's page
Grace and Gary
Laurent's page
Howie's page
The PC in our house
Tzau Family Website

Links in
Random Baby Pics
AltaVista Links In
Lycos Links In

Story index
Current issue
December 16, 2001
November 24, 2001
August 9, 2001
July 29, 2001
July 4, 2001
June 1, 2001
May 10, 2001
March 31, 2001
March 19, 2001
March 8, 2001
February 14, 2000
January 11, 2000
December 9, 2000
November 19, 2000
October 26, 2000
September 20, 2000
August 31, 2000
August 14, 2000
July 20, 2000
July 10, 2000
June 26, 2000
June 7, 2000
May 30, 2000
May 18, 2000
May 10, 2000
April 8, 2000
March 17, 2000
February 28, 2000
February 9, 2000
January 17, 2000
December 17, 1999
December 6, 1999
December 1, 1999
November 29, 1999
November 22, 1999
August 26, 1998
August 21, 1999
July 25, 1999
July 6, 1999
June 30, 1999
June 22, 1999
June 10, 1999
May 16, 1999
May 1, 1999
April 7, 1999
March 31, 1999
March 20, 1999
March 13, 1999
March 7, 1998
February 28, 1998
February 15, 1999
January 30, 1999
December 25, 1998
November 21, 1998
November 11, 1998
October 29, 1998
October 21, 1998
October 12, 1998
October 2, 1998
September 19, 1998
September 13, 1998
September 8, 1998
September 1, 1998
August 26, 1998
August 24, 1998
August 18, 1998
August 11, 1998
August 4, 1998
July 28, 1998
July 20, 1998
July 14, 1998
July 6, 1998
June 29, 1998
June 20, 1998
June 18, 1998


Ryan Yeh
Kevin Bau
Heidi Yeh
David Bau
Rachel Bau
Paul Bau

Broadcast weekly around the world on

  August 26, 1998 - Issue 12 - Philadelphia Edition
Previous issue   Story index   Next issue   Baby pictures

Birth of Baby Boy Bau

News flash! David Anthony Bau was born this morning, at about 8 a.m. EST. The little guy weighed in at just over 7 pounds, one ounce. Mother and baby are both healthy.

The arrival of Heidi and David's first child was the happy conclusion to a full night of wakeful labor at the Labor and Delivery Unit at the Hospital of the University of Penssylvania, three long days of contractions, and one "false alarm" stay at the hospital. There were no serious medical complications.

The first stage of labor started Monday night, with contractions so frequent and painful that Heidi was not able to sleep. At Heidi's regular checkup with her gynecologist on Tuesday morning, she was already dialated to three centimeters and having contractions every six minutes: the signs incidated that she was pretty close to delivery. So her doctor sent her upstairs for a stay at the perinatal clinic. In picture two on the right, Heidi is reading the results of the clinic's fetal monitor, which monitors the baby's heartbeat and the mother's contractions. ("Hearing the baby's heartbeat is the best part", Heidi said, "I wish we could take the monitor home.") But it was a false alarm. Several hours passed without much progress, so the family went back home to rest up.

Heidi continued to have contractions all day Tuesday and did not get much rest. But her labor was progressing. By ten at night, her contractions were coming more frequently and regularly, more than 14 each hour. So Heidi, her mother (visiting from Hawaii), and David packed up their hospital kit (packed earlier) and took another trip to the hospital.

On duty last night was a nurse, Michelle, who was Heidi's good friend when they worked together in the Surgical Intenstive Care Unit - Michelle recently transferred to Labor and Delivery. She was assigned to take care of Heidi, and she pampered Heidi through the whole night, bringing everything that was needed: extra blankets, cheerful encouragement, or quick medical help. She stayed past her shift to see through the delivery to the very end.

The couple chose to do the birth under epidural anesthesia. In an epidural block, anesthetic is dripped into the fluid around the spinal cord, numbing pain below a certain point in the body. Unfortunately, Heidi's epidural turned out "one-sided": it was more effective in numbing her right side than her left. Eventually, this meant that the amount of anesthetic needed to numb the pain on her left prevented her from being able to move any muscles on her right. So during the final stage of labor, the anesthetic drip had to be stopped so that she could push effectively. This did not turn out to be a problem.

The other concern was that the doctor found meconium in the amniotic fluid: that is, poop in the womb. The meconium is not a problem by itself, but it makes the baby's first breath dangerous, because if he inhales any dirty fluid, he is in danger of getting serious pnemonia. So at our delivery, the obstretrician used suction as soon as possible to clean out the baby's airways before cutting the umbilical cord, and a pediatric team sat ready to evaluate and treat the baby if any meconium was inhaled - which fortunately, didn't happen. Little David Anthony turned out fine, with no complications.

David Anthony was born articulate and hungry: he cried loudly as soon as his airways were cleared, and continued to cry until he was returned to his mother. And later, he breastfed for more than an hour. (Actually, this soon after birth, babies do not need food, and the mother's breasts do not offer much nutrition; but even if little D.A. was not eating much, he did like to practice.) The next order of the day was a trip to the hospital nursery, where he is sleeping now.

Baby photos will continue to be posted under the "Baby Pics" link in the blue area on the left.

Previous issue   Story index   Next issue   Baby pictures

In other news
Tan's Dinner
Derek Tan presented his first research paper at the American Chemistry Society this past Monday morning at the Hynes Convention Center in Boston. There were over 400 people in the audience and many of us were forced to stand as all the seats were taken. It was a short talk and very technical, but very well recieved by those in attendance.

That evening, the Tan's and a family friend from Hong Kong came to the Bau's in Weston for dinner. With Rachel working until 4 PM, Paul decided to cook the prime rib roast of beef. It weighted 6 pounds and there were six people eating dinner and surprise .... it was completely consumed. And Paul the Chef was delighted as are all cooks when their work is appreciated.

Those coming to visit may order prime rib roast in advance if that is one of their favorates!

Weston Pool Refurbished
This week, we're having our annual refurb-repairs done on the swimming pool of the Weston house. There's the Deco Seal (the white rubber ring that circles the pool and allows for expansion and contactions due to temperature shifts of the seasons). Then there are three or four coaping stones whose foundations have moved and require replacement. And finally, there's a bit of tile work that must be replaced as happens every year. The work is being done by the same folks who built the pool 10 years ago.

The more things one owns, the more things one has to take care of! Hmmmmm...